Monday, May 2, 2011

Mommy mantra of the Week

What a week!  Ever have one of those? Can't-wait-til-it's-over; where-is-the-weekend? why-is-this- happening-to-me? weeks?  Not that anything very bad happened, or that my life fell apart, it was just alot of things compiled into one that by the time it was over I felt like there was not much of me left.  OY!  Rather than list the details, there is one question that keeps coming back to me through all of the chaos.  "Where did *I* go?"  As a mom, wife, and especially a homeschool parent, it sometimes is all too easy to get lost in expectations or even in the day-to-day. Before you know it the woman you were before Mt. Washmore, sleepless nights, dirty diapers, and the never ending quest for the perfect curriculum has all but disappeared. 

As I wrote an article I had a deadline for, I wrote in a style that is not my own.  WHY? Because I had thought the editors wanted something grown-up, something professional, someting...boring. Turned out that I was completely wrong and they went with something very similar to what I would have written if I wasn't so concerned about what I thought they would be interested in.  Lesson learned: trying to be someone you're not is never the way to go. So you can bet that won't happen again. But it got me to thinking, where is that girl who used to be bold and not care (too much) what people think? Sure you have to take other people's feelings into consideration and we can't always speak our mind at every moment. I do, however, wish some of that fearlessness would rise back up in me. So, this week's mommy mantra is to never let go of who you really are.  Keep those good things that make you YOU. You never know when you'll need them.


1 comment:

Stacey,momof 2 said...

I luv u. Tomorrow will be better.
I am hopefull for sunshine.